Tuesday, June 9, 2015

THE RIGHT AND HONOR TO VOTE! ---------- (Or Not To Vote)

On Tuesday, June 10, 2015 the registered voters of Lisbon have a duty to vote.  This county was established as a democracy and defended by the sacrifice of many Americans.  In a democracy, the registered voters determine what their wishes are by voting with a secret ballot.  As far as I am concerned, if you do not vote, you have no right to speak.  

On this ballot is the question of the School budget.  It was very clear on May 19, 2015; the Town Council did not listen to the wishes of the people.  This is why it is critical the registered voters turn out and vote, TOMORROW!  It is possible the Town Council will listen to the voters of the community, this time.  It would be encouraging to know Councilors still listen to the people who elected them to represent them.  These Councilors must remember local government is created of the people, by the people and for the people and not their ego’s or someone’s agenda.

So tomorrow, please get out and vote.  As for me, I am voting NO, TOO LOW.

Larry Fillmore

Editors Note: I disagree with Larry on this vote. 

First: I believe that abstaining from voting is as much a vote as voting. The people that use this method to voice their opinion are no less patriotic and shouldn't be considered lazy or less informed.

Secondly I don't know if the Councilors did or didn't listen to the people. I can say they didn't listen to the people that attended the Council Meeting in May, but only about 2% of Lisbon's population was represented at that meeting. The other 98% of Lisbon's residents may or may not agree with the 2% that attended. The Councilors may feel that the majority of their constituents are for the reduced budget.

I do not know how I will vote tomorrow but I do know that I will not be bullied into voting against my better judgement.

Joe Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment