Monday, May 25, 2015

Fluoride: Our Daily Medication


Fluoride is a word we have all heard before. It’s in our water; it’s in our toothpaste, mouthwash, and many other things that we are probably not yet aware of. So, what exactly is fluoride and why is the government insistent that it needs to be added to public drinking water. Fluoride is a naturallyoccurring, organic compound and it can be found naturally in soil, water, food, and in several minerals and it is the 13th most abundant element on the Earth’s crust. In fact, fluoride occurs naturally in water with an average of about 1 part per million (ppm) in saltwater and around 0.01-0.3ppm in fresh water.[1]
The Centers of Disease Control and Prevention has this to say about the lovely compound Fluoride:
Fluoride is a naturally occurring mineral that is proven to protect against tooth decay.”[2]
The concept of water fluoridation was first conceived in the 1940s when scientist found that people who lived in areas with higher naturally occurring fluoride in their drinking water had less tooth decay and cavities than those who did not have the elevated levels of fluoride in their drinking water. It was discovered that on average this particular area with elevated fluoride levels had approximately 1ppm of fluoride in their drinking water. It later would be determined that fluoride can prevent and even reverse tooth decay by inhibiting bacteria in the mouth that produce acid and destroy the tooth enamel and the fluoride also enhances re-mineralization; a process in which tooth enamel is rebuilt.[3]
Grand Rapids, Michigan became the very first community to implement water fluoridation by adjusting its water supply to 1.0ppm with fluoride in 1945. By 2008, more than 72% of the U.S. population with public access to water had fluoridated water. Sounds pretty good, right? I thought it sounded a bit odd that fluoride is commonly used as a rat poison but somehow small chronic exposure to this toxic substance was deemed ok for human consumption, so I kept digging.
Water fluoridation is a process by which fluoride is artificially added to drinking water in order to aid against tooth decay – or so we are told. First off, just because fluoride is a naturally occurring substance does not mean it is safe – I’ll reference things like arsenic and mercury to make the point clear. In fact, fluoride is a highly toxic substance and has many severe side effects and is commonly used in rodenticides and pesticides to kill pests like rats and insects – we will get into this a bit later.
As I mentioned before, fluoride is a naturally occurring substance, however, with that being said I want to make this very clear: Water Fluoridation is NOT a natural process. Most the Fluoride that is added to the water supply is in fact not the naturally occurring Fluoride but rather fluorosilicic acid – abyproduct that is captured in air pollution control devices of the phosphate fertilizer industry.[4]
So, by now, you are probably asking yourself that same question I asked myself: If fluoride is a knowntoxic substance, why is it being added to our water supply and virtually every dental product on the market?
As I’ve mentioned already, the alleged benefits of fluoride is that is prevents and can reverse tooth decay, however, the only benefit that fluoride plays on dental health is through topical treatment – not ingestion – this is something that even the CDC acknowledges now.[5]
Now that we have a decent understanding of fluoride, its history, and how it is used let’s look at what fluoride is really doing to the body. Chemical toxicity can measured in two ways; either chronic toxicity or acute toxicity. As the name implies, chronic toxicity refers to a substance that can be ingested only once and be safe, but over long periods of time or repeated exposure the substance can becometoxic. Opposite of this is acute toxicity, which is a specific dose that, if consumed in one sitting, can cause immediate poisoning. For our lovely compound fluoride the acute toxicity level is 0.1-0.3 milligrams per kilogram of body weight. So let me give you a real life example of how toxic fluoride is and how easily someone, such as a child, can become poisoned.
For a child who weighs 10kg, or roughly 22 pounds, they can suffer immediate symptoms of acute fluoride poisoning by only consuming 1-3mg of fluoride in a single sitting. How might something like this happen you ask? It’s actually quite simple. It would only take this child consuming approximately 1-3 grams of over the counter toothpaste, such as the bubble-gum or fruit flavored kind marketed towards children. This 1-3grams doesn’t even account for 3% of the tube of toothpaste. Symptoms of acute fluoride toxicity include thirst, abdominal pain, vomiting, and even diarrhea. When fluoride isingested it is transformed by the stomach to hydrofluoric acid – which in turn has a corrosive effect on the epithelial lining of the gastrointestinal tract.[6] I don’t want to harp on the acute toxicity of fluoride too much as this is well documented, however, if you would like any more proof of the toxicity of fluoride, consider this; the Food and Drug Administration now requires a warning label on all toothpastes containing fluoride and the warning label

No comments:

Post a Comment